Saturday, September 6, 2008

Greetings

Greetings to one and all.

The purpose of this blog is mainly as a crutch for me, but hopefully it will be of use to others as well. To begin with, I am a terribly unmotivated writer, so by forcing myself to write frequently, I hope to spur myself to be more productive in the writing that comes with being a scientist.

Secondly, there is a lot of research that says that passing information repeatedly through one's brain (i.e. repetition) is the best way to remember something, so if I write about science that I find interesting, the more likely I am to remember it later, as opposed to saying, "Oh, that's interesting," and then tossing the paper on the mountain of other papers to be forgotten.

Thirdly, it is easy to get caught up in the daily grind of research and classes and the daily living of life and forget to read as much as one should. So, by having a forum that is impatiently waiting for me to say something, I will thereby shame myself into searching out information to talk about. This actually isn't that hard as there is ample cool science stuff coming out all the time and this gives me a place to say, "Wow, this is so cool, look at this!"

Be warned that my science interests are hardly limited to my own research (which only a very few other people besides myself would be particularly interested in, most people just think "gross" and walk quickly the other way), so topics here will cover a wide range of topics. There will be lots of paleontology stuff, but I will be ranging rather far afield. Think of it as an opportunity to broaden your horizons.

No comments: